Monday, December 22, 2008

CLOSING OF FIELDS PIANOS POSING MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR THE SERIES "SUEZENNE FORDHAM CHAMBER JAZZ LA "New Orbits"

A month or so ago I recieved an urgrnt email from our Musical home of three years, Fields Pianos in est LAhome of my favorite Pisno ths Steinway, esp the Concert Grands, and friends of many NewYork Steinway Artists for may years., They were closing their doors forever, but perhaps would be able to accomodate three more of SFCJLA's Concerts for the 08-09 season. [eight left in all.].. The next concert was a disaster, which was the next night. I turned my cell off for the first half of the concert, and there were only three people in the sudience...granted real music lovers, but I go to great expense to present these concerts free to the public...and when I turned in my cell at intermission there were many messages from poeple who couldn't find Steinway Hall in the Dark[ it is down three flights in the parking structure..... and so people either couldn't find it OR were frightened...

At first I thought I would go ahead with the Janusry 8th concert with my quartet, but have thought better about it and for the first time I am cancelling the remainder of my concerts there. I am very thankful for the friendship and courtesies that Field's Pianos afforded us, but I am faced with finding a new, attractive venue with superb Steinway Concert Grands... It is my understanding their Orange County store will still be open, and will still be home to Steinway there, but that is a very ong way from here..

I thank My Ida, the Steinway Artist's rep, and Sherree, AND the geniuses at the Steinway Factory in Queens NY for their devotion to the creation of these extraordinary concert Instruments and am eternally grateful to have been a part of their Family in West LA.
Sigh, it's tough being a leader.

As my friend Myrna Daniels says, "Hang in there." More later. I have yet to tell my players that I am cancelling the remainder of the Steinway Hall concerts and that our next concert is in South Pasadena on February 15th at the South Pasadena library at 7 30 PM in the Main Concert Hall 1115 El Centro. 818 371 7735

Interesting that Steinway will soon open a smaller store in Beverly Hills, of less than 8,000 Sq. ft. Very chic, very boutique.

No comments: